Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Recipe: Justin's Kitchen Secret Dry Rub

The secrets out! I'm going to share my secret dry rub that I use for all of my barbeque, smoked ribs, and pulled pork!

I originally created this with some inspiration from Amazing Rib's Memphis Dust. Although I don't use as thick of a coating as I would need for Memphis styled BBQ, I do believe that the variety of herbs and spices help create a very fragrant and savory bark when smoked or roasted. I recommend using the core ingredients listed below every single time, but the variants are for everyone's own tastes to decide for.



Core Ingredients:
Salt
2 parts Brown Sugar
1 part Black Pepper
1 part White Pepper
1 part Smoked Paprika
1 part Chili Powder
1 part Onion Powder
1 part Garlic Powder
1/2 part Cayenne Pepper
1/2 part Oregano



Variable Ingredients:
1/2 part Ground Mustard
1/2 part Ground Cumin
1/2 part Ground Coriander Seeds
1/2 part Ground Nutmeg
1/2 part Ground All Spice
1/2 part Ground Ginger




DO:
-Salt your meat separately from the dry rub. This allows you to fully control how much salt you use and avoid double salting your meals, especially if you plan to use barbeque sauce.
-I use all of the variable ingredients with the core ingredients combined, but depending on what I am cooking, I may choose to change some ingredients. For example, I would exchange out ginger for sage or fennel.
-Try grinding your own spices! I keep my cumin, coriander, all spice, and nutmeg as whole grains. I also have mustard seeds and fennel whole too, but I don't use them as often.
-Make a little extra to make your BBQ sauce also!

DON'T:
-This is not an all purpose dry rub! I use this dry rub specifically for barbeque and smoking ribs and the sort. Don't use this rub for pan-searing chicken for a normal day's dinner.
-Store the rub for too long. Many of the spices are volatile and lose their potency with time.



No comments:

Post a Comment